Q: When are you open?

Dundee Head Office
is open from
8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to
Friday for counselling and admin
related queries.
Dundee counselling is also
available Tuesday, Wednesday
and Thursday up to 9.00pm
(by appointment)
Angus Area office
is open from
9.00am – 5.00pm Monday – Friday
with admin cover 10am – 2.00pm
Perth Area Office
is open from
9.00am – 5.00pm Monday – Friday
with admin cover 9.00am– 4.00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday and

Perth counselling is available up to
8.00pm on a Tuesday evening
(by appointment)

Q: How can I access your services?

It’s really easy to access our services. You can simply pick up the phone and give us a ring to refer yourself. We’ll ask you for a few details, such as your name, date of birth and address, and will usually be able to offer you an appointment within two weeks. Alternatively you can ask someone like your GP, social worker, school or another worker to refer you to us. We will try to be really flexible about when and where we meet with you.

Q: What should I expect at a counselling session?

Please refer to our one-to-one counselling page for more information.

Q: Do I need to pay for the service?


No, our services are all free thanks to the funding we receive from the local authorities, NHS and some of our other funders such as Lloyds TSB Foundation, Big Lottery, Comic Relief and Children in Need. We are a Registered Charity SC006511 and we’re always looking for funding to keep our services going, so if you feel able and want to you can make a donation.

Make a Donation

Q: Where can I find you?

(Head Office)
Dundee Office Map
The Wishart
50 Constable Street
Dundee, DD4 6AD
01382 456012
Arbroath Office Map
22-24 Catherine St
Arbroath, DD11 1RL
01241 872989
Perth Office Map
14 Marshall Place
Perth, PH2 8AH
01738 580336

We can also meet with you at other locations across Perth and Kinross and Angus as we have a number of outreach bases, so if you feel you can’t travel into our main offices give us a call and we can arrange a suitable place to meet.

Q: What does tca stand for?

Tayside council on alcohol

Q: Are you an angus council worker?

No. we are a Voluntary / Charitable Organisation

Q: Do you work with young people whose parents/carers abuse alcohol?

It depends on the situation: we usually work with young people who are misusing alcohol but we would never turn anyone away.  We could refer them on to an appropriate agency.

Q: Is it confidential?

Yes, unless there is a possibility of danger to the young person  or anyone else.  In that situation we would discuss with the young person before passing on any information.  

Q: Would you report someone’s drug using/illicit alcohol use to the police?

No normally we would not pass this on.

Q: Would you pass information on to the young person’s parents/carer?

We would support and encourage young people to talk to important family members, such as parents/carer, about issues or concerns which affect them. however, we understand that sometimes this can be difficult to talk about within the family and we would not normally pass on information without express consent of the young person. our main aim is for the young person to get the right help at the right time in order to stay safe, healthy and achieve their best. sometimes in order to do this we may have to talk to professionals and family members but we would always discuss this with the young person first.

Q: Is alcohol a drug?

Yes, a very dangerous drug when misused

Q: Do you see people who misuse drugs?

Yes, we cover both alcohol and other drugs

Q: Do you have to pay for the service?


Q: Are you social work?


Q: How many units can I safely drink in a week?

Men should not regularly drink more than 3-4 units of alcohol a day. Women should not regularly drink more than 2-3 units a day. If you've had a heavy drinking session, avoid alcohol for 48 hours.  'Regularly' means drinking this amount every day or most days of the week.(NHS)

Q: Do I need office experience to become an admin volunteer?

No – training is provided and we work at the pace of the volunteer

Q: When are Adult Counselling Services open?

Dundee Head Office
is open from
9am to 5pm Monday and Friday.
9am to 8 pm Tuesday, Wednesday
and Thursday.
Perth Area Office
is open from
9am to 5 pm Monday to Friday.

However we do offer evening
appointments for those who
cannot attend during the day as

Q: Where will I be seen?

An appointment can be arranged in any of our offices. We also offer outreach appointments and will arrange to see you in the nearest place possible to your home. We achieve this by using rooms in a range of premises. For example GP surgeries, local access offices etc. In exceptional circumstances we can arrange to see you in your own home.

Q: Do I need to have an addiction to seek support?

No – We offer support, information or advice to anyone who may have any concerns regarding their own or another’s use at any level. Our view is that many people experience a range of different problems which are related to their drinking/drug use/gambling, sometimes this is to do with relationships, the law or how you feel emotionally or physically. Everyone is different and if you are worried about anything to do with your drinking, then we can explore whether you feel that it is a problem for you then we can give you information and advice about what can be harmful about use, and ways to reduce this harm.

Q: What if I also have other substance issues that have not been mentioned?

If you have any other substance issues that we are unable to support you with we will identify an appropriate service and can make a referral for you

Q: What will happen at my first appointment?

You shall be invited in for an initial half hour screening appointment to discuss any issues and ask any questions you may have about future counselling. This shall also give you the opportunity to explore a treatment plan.

Q: How do I volunteer with the Adult Services?

We recruit and volunteer counsellors/befrienders and practice supervisors from the local communities to address the needs of local people. The training provided is to a high-recognised standard and counsellors work towards accreditation through evidenced practice. If you are interested please contact our Head Office on 01382 456012.
Can’t find an answer to your question?

Please email us your question and we will answer it as soon as we can. We can email you our answer privately, or if you would prefer to remain anonymous, submit your question without an email address and we will post the answer here in due course.